Body Mass Index - BMI Calculator
getcalc.com's Body Mass Index (BMI) Calculator is an online health & fitness tool to estimate if the person is weighing either normal or overweight or obese or extreme obese or underweight. BMI is a most preferred way of finding ideal weight to plan for diet, fitness & healthy living. This calculator supports both metric & USCS units, to calculate the BMI, users may either supply the weight in pounds (lb) & height in feet(ft) and inches (in) or wight in kilograms (kg) and height in meters (m) and centimeters (cm), to check how much a person should weigh, based on his or her height & weight. According to the BMI formulas, calculating BMI for male, female & kids is common, there is no specific method to calculate BMI score for male or female adults or kids.
What is BMI?
Body Mass Index as well known as BMI, is the measure of body fat derived from individual’s height and weight. As the name suggests, it's an index which express how healthy you are in terms of weight often derived from the body weight in pounds (lb) or kilograms (kg) divided by the square of person height in feet (ft), inches (in), meters (m) & centimeters (cm). It helps to identify if the person is obese or normal weight or underweight. Person with BMI value more than 30, is considered obese. BMI is a most preferred way of finding ideal weight to plan for diet, fitness & healthy living. Use this health & fitness tool Body Mass Index calculator to find the BMI score from the supplied values of height & weight in USCS or SI units.
BMI Chart - Ideal, Overweight or Obese
Users may refer the below BMI chart to check if the BMI score of a person is healthy weight, underweight, overweight, obesity or extreme obesity. In other words, it represents the range of BMI values and its classification. This BMI chart is common for all male or female adults and kids. Any one can ask himself, "How much should I weigh for my height & weight?". This calculator, chart and its associated information provide answers how much you should be weigh, according to your weight and height. Below are the notable BMI classifications for users reference.
- Underweight is the medical condition of human body with less amount of essential fat. People with Body Mass Index value of below 19 is considered to be underweight.
- Ideal or Optimum weight is also the medical condition of human body with right amount of fat. People with Body Mass Index from 19 to 24.9 considered to be healthy persons.
- Overweight is also the medical condition of human body posses with excess amount fat than the right amount of fat and lower than the Obesity. People with Body Mass Index from 25 to 29.9 considered to be overweight.
- Obesity or Obese is also the medical condition of human body with excess amount of fat. People with Body Mass Index from 30 to 39.5 considered to be Obesity and are prone to health issues.
- Extreme Obese is also the medical condition of human body with extreme amount of fat. People with Body Mass Index more than 39.5 considered to be extreme obesity and are more prone to serious health issues.
|BMI Range||Weight Level|
|19 to 24.9||Normal|
|25 to 29.9||Overweight|
|30 to 39.5||Obese|
|above 39.5||Extreme Obese|
Users may refer the below formulas to calculate if a person is in ideal weight, underweight, overweight, obese or extreme obese. Use the corresponding formula to find the BMI score in SI or US customary units. Any male or female adults may use BMI calculator or these below formulas to self assess or find the answer for "Am I Obese or Overweight?"